Forums
Gallery
TCD's Charities
Potions Supplies
HandmadeDragons
MovingDragons
LatexDragons

Forums

Forum Home > Announcements & New Items > Coming Soon: Barn Owl "Soft Sculpture" Pattern

thecopperdragon
Site Owner

While most people would simply call this a "stuffed animal," it's really meant to be more detailed than your average stuffed critter. The term "soft sculpture" is really more appropriate.

We are currently working on an adult Barn Owl pattern. Our hope is to have two patterns in one, allowing you to create a perched (standing) owl, or a flying owl. There will be options to make your owl a little less detailed, but a little easier to create overall, or other options that would allow you to go "full out"- make your little owl as lifelike as possible.

The first owl I make (which will be photographed for the pattern images) will be made with hand batiked and hand dyed fabric, which should let me accurately mimic the owl's real coloring and patterns.

The second owl I make (which will probably also be shown on the pattern) we are planning to make with "store bought" fabrics, to show that you don't have to go to all that extra effort dying fabric to have an amazing owl.

I may consider selling lengths of the hand dyed fabric in the future, as well as "pre-made" owls, ready to go to new homes.

Andrea

--
April 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KoishiiKitty

it sounds interesting!

April 19, 2009 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keplilly

That does sound pretty neat!

June 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

thecopperdragon
Site Owner

Hi Kep! Good to see you here!

Just this morning I was doodling away on an orange, trying to get the darn face pattern the way I want it. It's still not there yet, but it's helping. :)

June 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keplilly

Good to see you too! I'm just becoming a forum addict. Don't mind me lurking around.....*lurk*

June 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

thecopperdragon
Site Owner

I just recieved a bit of an exciting update today.. well, it's exciting to me anyways. :)

I've been granted permission to use a beautiful barn owl stamp to decorate the pages of my sewing directions that'll come with the barn owl pattern. I'm excited because this company is not an "angel policy" company, and generally does not allow people to use their stamps on items for sale without clearing all the red tape and paperwork first.

There are some things I need to do before I can use the image (but I'm still working on the pattern so that's no problem), and I have to credit the company with the stamp (which I offered to do and think is fair anyways), then I'm pretty much set. Yea!

July 7, 2009 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

thecopperdragon
Site Owner

Update, for those of you who have been looking forward to the Barn Owl pattern..

With everything going on around here, I've not yet had time to finish the pattern (the head/neck area is giving me issues still), but I AM planning on finishing the pattern still. It may take a little while to get it right, but it's not something that will just be abandoned. I'm hoping to have the finished patterns available by Christmas, including a few ready-made examples to show, hopefully some finished owls that will be ready to adopt too.

If anyone would like to be emailed once the pattern is ready, simply drop me a line and I'll add you to the list. You'll get first crack at any ready-made ones we have at that time as well. :)

As a side note, if the barn owl pattern/finished owls do well, I am planning on creating other owls (including at least a snowy owl and probably a great horned owl as well), as well as "branch out" into other raptors. I'm already planning on a baby owl pattern or two or five. ;)

We are currently researching to find a US-based Raptor rehabilitation center that we can set up a donation account  with- we would like to donate a percentage of every pattern and finished owl sold to help our little feathered friends. If anyone has a rehab center they would like us to consider, please email me and let me know!

June 15, 2010 at 5:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Copyright Andrea Brink Christian 2003-2012